Athlone School has open boundaries for the 2021-2022 school year. We will accept ALL students who reside in the school’s designated attendance area. For the 2021-2022 school year, we will be accepting some students outside of our designated attendance area and we will be managing vacant spaces to monitor enrolment at the school.
For the Full-Day Kindergarten program, parents are welcome to submit a registration package for the program. Please be advised that we will be accepting attendance area students first and should there be any space remaining, we will accept “out of attendance area” students. If the number of new students who want to register in Kindergarten exceeds available spaces, a random selection process will be used.
Full Day Kindergarten
Basic Goals and Objectives of the Full Day Kindergarten Program
The Kindergarten program is based on the beliefs that:
- All children develop at individual rates through similar stages.
- Children are social and keen to learn and benefit from working with peers.
- Children learn through organized activities, purposeful play, and through cooperating with their peers.
- Parent support is key as they are their child’s first teacher.
The main components of the Kindergarten Program are:
- Early Literacy and Numeracy
- Personal and Social Responsibility
- Community and Environmental Awareness
- Physical Skills and Well-Being
- Creative and Cultural Expression
More information is available at http://www.epsb.ca/programs/early years/full-day kindergarten/
Grades 1 to 6
We have a school-wide Literacy focus across the curriculum. We use the 5 Pillars of Reading (Phonemic Awareness, Fluency, Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Phonics). Athlone and 25 other schools in the Division have partnered with the University of Alberta, Dr. Georgiou, and are using data (reading screeners three times each year) and current research to guide our practices.